Sunday, October 05, 2008

This is your brain on Obamatol 2

Courtney E. Martin, writing in the CS Monitor, unwittingly makes a great case for voting for McCain:
Like so many Americans, I feel as though I am holding my breath.

Could the quiet seed of joy that was planted in my heart the day I heard Barack Obama speak for the first time take root and grow without fear of the brutal storms of disappointment?

Could a leader that evokes awe in me actually win a presidential election? Could the beauty – and logic – of his words win over the majority of this country's voters? Could they see past the lies and distractions to the center of a human being who sincerely wants to invoke citizens' higher selves?

Could a system that seems so broken, so moneyed, so corrupt actually serve to help the American people elect an authentic, complex thinker? Could it be that – despite all that is wrong with the electoral process – there is enough right to allow a thoughtful candidate to get through the muck and emerge earnest and excited to lead? [...]

If Obama is elected, if I am invited to rejoice with the majority of Americans, the best part of me will have a chance to smile triumphantly at the worst.

Sometimes you believe in someone and they inspire you right back. Sometimes kindness and wisdom triumph over fear and brutality. Sometimes this country is as amazing as your wildest imagination of it.
This thing is entitled "Dare I believe Obama can win?" It seems to prove that Obama is what his associations with Jeremiah Wright and Bill Ayers always suggested: an extremist. Why would a normal liberal inspire this sort of writing? The author obviously never thought she would ever see a Eugene Debs or a Gus Hall in the Oval Office and now she is wondering if she should dare to hope. Should she? I hope not.

Crossposted on Soccer Dad

No comments: