Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Yemen Times: "Denmark: The happiest place on earth"

I thought I might find something interesting about the US Embassy blast, but I found this instead:
Copenhagen’s waterside restaurants and cafĂ©s are alive with people.

Last month, I was in Denmark to participate in a 10-day journalism course entitled, Media Skills Development for Dialogue organized by Crossing Borders for young journalists and media/communication students from the Middle East, North Africa and Denmark.

I had read surveys maintaining that Denmark is the happiest place on earth, so while there, I looked for the reasons why Danes are happy. A high standard of living, free education, good public health services and a clean environment were part of the answer.

But something else also was important – Danes enjoy satisfaction in life because they have low expectations; thus, they seemingly get what they want easily and rarely feel disappointed. [...]
"Who is rich? He who is happy with his lot." (Pirkei Avot 4:1)

Crossposted on Soccer Dad

No comments: