Wednesday, June 27, 2007

SFChronicle: "Getting up close and personal with Hamas"

I'm not sure all the work of this author (Joel Brinkley) merits endorsement, but this is a timely and brutally frank look at Hamas:
[...] I know the leaders of Hamas. And I am certain they will be the last people on earth to realize that their coup has backfired. During three decades in daily journalism, working in more than 50 nations around the world, I have never met as determined a group of dogmatic ideologues. During a reporting trip in Gaza a few years ago, I set out to meet and interview each of the five major Hamas leaders. I got to four of them . . .

Hamas is an acronym for the Islamic Resistance Movement. For Hamas' nihilist leaders, resistance is not a strategy toward an end. Carnage is the goal. Last week, Zahar suggested that Hamas might attack Fatah in the West Bank with suicide bombs.

More than a year in power has changed them not at all. They have proved themselves incapable of looking beyond their dogma.
Read the rest.

(Hat Tip: Martin Kramer)

No comments: