Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Did Sheehan make anti-Israel remark?

The Jewish News of Northern California, in an article about a Sheehan appearance at the Osher Marin JCC, doesn't want you to think so:
Krasny brought up familiar allegations, including Sheehan’s statements that Israel should not be in Palestinian territories and that her son did not go to war to defend Israel.

“I never said that,” Sheehan said of the statement about her son. “I do believe that all occupations are wrong, no matter who’s occupying what country.”
And from later in the article:
Maureen Dixon of the Osher Marin JCC said she heard little public Jewish outcry about having Sheehan speak, receiving a total of two letters and one phone call. She urged people to do a little research before coming to conclusions about Sheehan, saying, “Rumors can take on a life on their own. It’s what propaganda is all about.”
OK, here's a little research:
Her controversial comments were put on the record . . . in a letter to ABC's Nightline.

The letter reads as follows:

"Am I emotional? Yes, my first born was murdered. Am I angry? Yes, he was killed for lies and for a PNAC Neo-Con agenda to benefit Israel. My son joined the Army to protect America, not Israel. Am I stupid? No, I know full-well that my son, my family, this nation, and this world were betrayed by George [W.] Bush who was influenced by the neo-con PNAC agenda after 9/11. We were told that we were attacked on 9/11 because the terrorists hate our freedoms and democracy...not for the real reason, because the Arab-Muslims who attacked us hate our middle-eastern foreign policy. That hasn't changed since America invaded and occupied Iraq...in fact it has gotten worse . . ." The nightline letter is confirmed by ABC News which says that Mrs. Sheehan had indeed signed her name to the letter.

Tags: , ,

No comments: